Late-Breaking Program News Marriott Sets New Record For Hotel Loyalty Programs
(Posted: May 11, 2004)

On May 10, Marriott International, Inc. welcomed Ms. Karen Evans of Virginia as its 20 millionth Marriott Rewards member -- making it the first program to break the 20 million member mark.

To celebrate the achievment, Ms. Evans was awarded airfare and a week's stay for two at any Marriott International hotel in the world, as well as lifetime Platinum Elite status in the program.

"More people have chosen Marriott Rewards than any other hotel loyalty program because it is the best value for their money," said Ed French, Marriott's senior vice president of customer relationship marketing.

Currently celebrating its 20th anniversary, Marriott Rewards is the world's longest continuously running program. Other leading programs in terms of total membership include Starwood Preferred Guest (19 million), IHG Priority Club Rewards (18 million) and Hilton HHonors (13 million).

For a complete list of membership figures for both hotel and airline loyalty programs, go to http://www.webflyer.com/company/press_room/facts_and_stats/current_membership.php .

Unhappy Rewards Member
posted: May 15, 2004 at 8:41pm (MT)

Instead of rewarding Ms. Evans so lavishly, why doesn't Marriott give all its members a small reward to celebrate this milestone, such as 500 points for everyone? It's a bit unfair to give a brand new member so much and leave the rest of us who have been loyal to Marriott all these years wondering why the company doesn't appreciate us.

Current Marriott Rewards Members (deserve better)
posted: May 30, 2004 at 5:39pm (MT)

I agree with the last comment. You can be a loyal Marriot Rewards member, whether Silver, Gold or Platinum Elite member. For those leisure or business travelers utilizing Marriott brand hotels, it would be make sense to "celebrate" the 20th anniversary by extra bonus points, a free night, or partner bonus - to those members that continue and remain with Marriott (forever).

Puce Stamps worth More
posted: Jun 7, 2004 at 1:16pm (MT)

For those of you who remember Walt Kelly and Pogo. Remeber those puce stamps that were saved by the swamp critters. Well the joy of those stamps cam from collecting and pasting them in a book. You could not trade them in for anything of value. I am a platinum with over 225,000 points...but just try and book a room when and where you need it on less than 8 weeks notice...well...Marriott points have become the new puce stamps from my perspective....

Hilton really services there loyal customes...and so does the Bass chain (Holiday Inn)..Marriott is 3rd in my travel plans....

Ann L. Noel
posted: Jun 8, 2004 at 4:34pm (MT)

I sort of have to agree with the unhappy Marriott rewards members. It does strike me as strange that a new member would receive such an award, when I have worked very hard and spent many dollars to get to the number of points I have now. My husband and I have been looking forward to our 50th wedding anniversary for many years - and have always said we would get to go to Ireland that way. Our 50th anniversary will be December 29, 2006.

work for your status
posted: Jun 21, 2004 at 5:37am (MT)

I can't believe Marriott would give away lifetime Platinum status to a person on their first day as a member. What about the members who have been loyal for years and spent many dollars being faithful? Makes me want to switch.

Daran
posted: Jun 30, 2004 at 5:25pm (MT)

You've overdone yourselves again with this lavish bull crap heaped on a person who probably signed up just for the _ _ _ _ of it. Myself also with other Plats/Golds/Silvs are so disgusted with Marriott it is nothing close to being funny. It's absurd!

Hilton here I come with my 125+nights/year. At least I know my money will be going towards "TRUE" loyalty.

Daran
posted: Jun 30, 2004 at 5:27pm (MT)

BTW, Congratulations on your 50th in 2006!!! Kudos! Now that's a feat!

Chicago Mike
posted: Jul 4, 2004 at 2:37am (MT)

I totally agree. I've been choosing Marriott over 75 nights a year at an average of $110 a pop for my travels. I feel a bit slighted that a newbie got all that, and I still have to fight to get a free room out of the program. In my opinion they may have a well organize program, but the rewards are terrible, and insane in mile/night awards. Hilton and Holiday Inn beat them hands down. I always liked Marriott because you knew what to expect, but in recent years its just not worth it.

Bill Holden
posted: Dec 15, 2007 at 1:06am (MT)

Marriott SUCKS!

Steve
posted: Dec 12, 2010 at 5:56am (MT)

I have no issue that Marriott issued the immediate rewards of trip. but the bestowing of a lifetime platinum membership is an insult to the loyal customers. Maybe a one year platinum status. I have just earned my lifetime by staying over 1150 nights over the last 12 years, including 4 years as platinum premier. I actually feel dissed.