Late-Breaking Program News US Airways Launches New MasterCard
(Posted: Jan 3, 2006)

US Airways and UK-based Barclays Bank have launched a new affinity credit card with generous incentives designed to lure away users of a similar card issued by rival Bank of America.

The new MasterCard offers 15,000 bonus miles upon activation,
no interest for the first six months and Dividend Miles for purchases made on the card and balance transfers.

Bank of America already offers a US Airways Visa card, but both banks are allowed to offer credit cards linked to the airline's frequent flyer program for the next two years as a result of the recent merger of US Airways and America West.

Barclays paid out $475 million for the merger in return for the right to offer the new card. Bank of America has sued US Airways, saying its deal with Barclays violated its contract with the carrier, but thus far, courts in Delaware and Virginia have refused to halt the launch of the new Barclays card.

Many of the card?s incentives are heavily loaded toward the first year of use. In that year, users will earn three miles per $1 spent on US Airways and US Airways Vacations purchases, and one and half miles per $1 spent on other purchases. The $79 annual fee is waived for the first two years.

Other card benefits include up to 10,000 bonus miles on balance transfers, preferred check-in and boarding, 10,000 miles towards Preferred status, one complimentary US Airways Club pass per year, and $75 off one annual US Airways Club membership.

For more information, visit http://www.lotsmoremiles.com

Sharon K. Johnson
posted: Mar 15, 2006 at 9:32pm (MT)

We presently have a Bank of America US Air Visa Card. I am interested in acquiring your charge card and cancelling the Bank of America card. You have great incentives.
Thanks

Frank MacMillan
posted: Mar 27, 2006 at 8:47pm (MT)

On two recent flights back from Caribbean, USAirways personnel were strongly pushing the Bank of America Visa card application form(not the Mastercard). Why would they be doing this if they are breaking up their relationship soon?

Thanks

Frank

John Maar
posted: Mar 27, 2006 at 10:00pm (MT)

I have both cards (having acquired the B of A card prior to the release of the Barclays card). US Airways needs to continue to promote both for legal reasons. Both cards have booths in Terminal 4 at Sky Harbor here in Phoenix. I see no down side to having both, since Barclays is waiving the annual fee through the end of 2007 (at which time the B of A card will no longer accrue miles). I got a ton of bonus miles getting both.

Ryan
posted: Apr 30, 2006 at 3:02pm (MT)

Just an FYI- the 10,000 preferred miles is only if you spend $25,000 or more in one calendar year on the card.

Marley
posted: Jun 13, 2006 at 1:27pm (MT)

At first glance, this seems great. I can use this well with my United Mileage Plus card given their code share agreements.

Ed
posted: Jul 5, 2006 at 3:26am (MT)

Buyer beware: D'ont be tempted with a balance transfer to earn bonus miles. Tucked away in very fine print is a 100.00 charge ! I wrote to Barclay's-Their response: Too bad !

Kammie
posted: Aug 1, 2006 at 3:24pm (MT)

I agree with Ed... Buyer beware! I got the Mastercard for the bonus miles... and was charged $100 for a balance transfer and a $79 annual fee. I called to ask what happened to the "No annual fee" promotion and was told that I signed up for a different promotion and they would not remove the $79 annual fee. I will stick with my Bank Of America Visa from now on.

eleanor r mertz
posted: Dec 8, 2006 at 5:07pm (MT)

I want to cancel my bank of america card

Jim
posted: Dec 16, 2006 at 8:44pm (MT)

I don't like the idea that B of A never told me of this situation. I learned about it at the airport recently when I applied for the new Barclays card. All I care about is ease of payment, and B of A is the best with that.

Diane
posted: Dec 18, 2006 at 5:24am (MT)

When changing planes in Philly I was slammed by one of Barclay salesman. He did not tell me I was signing up for a credit card but lead me to believe I was upgrading my frequent flyer miles. After signing up, he handed me this folded paper which I later saw was a contract for a new credit card. I do not want another credit card. I was deceived by this salesman. Upon returning I saw the same sales people. I told them I did not want this card. I was asured someone from Barclay would call me. At this writing no one has called. Don't be sucked in like I was.

carol
posted: Dec 20, 2006 at 2:38am (MT)

Bank of America credit card has just been cancelled for numerous reasons...too many to mention

Doug
posted: Mar 1, 2007 at 8:40pm (MT)

I love my mastercard with Barclays. Their website is much easier to do payments on than BoA. It's really simple.

suzi yarin
posted: Nov 24, 2007 at 2:33pm (MT)

where wd i find info on getting FF mi for transferring a large balance? thx!!!

hamster
posted: Jun 11, 2009 at 7:39am (MT)

Barclays is complete SCUM. Stay away from Barclays. WARNING WARNING.